Saturday, August 8, 2009

The Fallen Princesses

Dina Goldstein is a much acclaimed photographer whose create works never fail to aspire and inspire others. I love this particular mini project of hers, Fallen Princesses :)

Face the realities, even the princesses are not living a "happily ever after" life.

Re-post from here: JPGMAG

These works place Fairy Tale characters in modern day scenarios. In all of the images the Princess is placed in an environment that articulates her conflict. The '...happily ever after' is replaced with a realistic outcome and addresses current issues.

The project was inspired by my observation of three-year-old girls, who were developing an interest in Disney's Fairy tales. As a new mother I have been able to get a close up look at the phenomenon of young girls fascinated with Princesses and their desire to dress up like them. The Disney versions almost always have sad beginning, with an overbearing female villain, and the end is predictably a happy one. The Prince usually saves the day and makes the victimized young beauty into a Princess.

As a young girl, growing up abroad, I was not exposed to Fairy tales. These new discoveries lead to my fascination with the origins of Fairy tales. I explored the original brothers Grimm's stories and found that they have very dark and sometimes gruesome aspects, many of which were changed by Disney. I began to imagine Disney's perfect Princesses juxtaposed with real issues that were affecting women around me, such as illness, addiction and self-image issues.

There are 2 more to be shot for this series which is going on exhibit on Oct. 15/09


I was attracted by the Snow White's shot so I began to search for its series :)

Married Snow White's life
Our typical imagination on reality faced by the princess after married: the Prince is lazy at home, a messy house with pets roaming around, and lots of children or babies to look after. Bingo!


The Sleeping Beauty and her prince in the Old Folk's home, so unfair because she still retains her youth by sleeping, LOL


Little Red Riding Hood gets fat with McD food XD


Rapunzel has cancer that made her proud long hair fall off.


Jasmine goes to war (because she's froma Middle East-setting story, LOL)


Cinderella gets wasted at a dive


Belle needs plastic surgery to keep her beauty and youth.... I somewhat disagree with this because Belle is my favourite princess who comes from a poor condition but does not dreamed to go to Prince's party like Cinderella yet willing to risk herself to be with the Beast. So I think she has the most beautiful heart among the princesses so I don't think she will go for plastic surgery, LOL


Ariel is caught and displayed in an Aquarium


*Scheduled Post*

No comments:

Post a Comment